Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Lowery Collection, Part I: Order Hemiptera

Recently I went to an estate sale, and I purchased some decent stuff. An empty Bubble-Up soda bottle, a Niagara Falls souvenir coffee mug, some old sheet music, but the best thing I got there was in the "Free" box. Always look in the "Free" box. This box contained the college notebooks of the man whose estate was for sale, H.C. Lowery. In one of the notebooks was (and still is) a series of anatomical insect drawings from 1947 when, from what I can tell from surrounding evidence, Mr. Lowery was a student at the University of Georgia. Over the next few days, I will be posting these drawings here. If you are (or know someone who is) a family member of H.C. Lowery, formerly of Athens, GA, and would like to have these drawings, please contact me by leaving a comment. I will give them to you. Until then, they are safe.



Anatomical Drawing of a Squash Bug (Back View) by H.C. Lowery, October 1947.

2 comments:

jodi said...

Wow. I love this one. Y'all should maybe put together a little zine of these (I'm assuming they'll all get scanned before you give them away). That's what I was thinking of doing with my found drawings and letters.

Old Athens Girl said...

Hi,
'm trying to get in touch with the owner of "The Lowery Collection". Please contact me at betz73@yahoo.com
Thanks.